The town of Pennington is located in North East Choctaw County, North of
Highway 10, and was named after John Wesley Pennington, who was a surveyor and a
Representative in the Alabama Legislature from 1855-1858. The first Post Office
in the area, built in 1845 was at Tornpkinsville near the Tombigbee River, but
was moved to Pennington in 1889, with John Hugh Hodges, Postmaster that year.
Incorporated in 1964 under the Mayor/Council type of government, the first Mayor
elected was Philip “Pete” McIlwain.
Pennington’s growth surged in 1959 with the construction of American Cain
Company’s Marathon Southern Division’s pulp and paper mill. This brought many
construction workers and an influx of families who found employment at the mill.
Pennington made progress in later years by the addition of Haguewood Park
donated by descendants of the Haguewood/Pennington families, a new City Hall
located by the walking trail, a count ambulance base and the addition of a water
Pennington has a volunteer fire department and a police department staffed with
full and part-time staff. Several churches of many denominations dot the
community. Many local small businesses supply the needs of the now Georgia
Pacific Mill. Pennington has many rich resources that the town is proud of. The
Tombigbee River provides wonderful recreation as well as a direct shipping route
to the Gulf of Mexico and the Port of Mobile. Its forested area also provides
good tree harvesting. There are many hunting clubs in the areas that provide
good sources of hunting for deer, boar and other wild game. Bobby’s recreation
center offers an eight hole golf course, driving range, weight room and banquet
facilities. The walking trail and ball fields provide additional enjoyment for
the whole family, including a beautiful new playground. Summer fun days & the
annual Christmas Parade round out the activities enjoyed by all in the Town of
A little piece of history is included in the Meridian and Bigbee River Railroad
Bridge 1934 that was converted in 1956 to allow both automobiles and trains to
cross. There are only two or three of these in the nation. This bridge was
closed to auto traffic in July 1999. The new bridge, named after Senator Richard
Shelby, has been built alongside.